Saturday, January 17, 2015

Chemistry 101

As an English teacher, most other subjects baffle me.  (Although I'm doing really well in Trivia Crack except in the Sports category, but that's another story for another time...)  Math has NEVER been an area of strength, and chemistry?  Well, let's just say I got an "A" in Prep Chem because I met with the prof every day for extra help--and ultimately, I think he felt sorry for me!  But I'm not talking about THAT kind of chemistry--I'm talking about the chemical reaction between people.  What causes that "spark"?  And why does it exist between some people and not others?

I ended things with Dee.  Yeah, yeah, I know.  You must think I'm as fickle as Romeo.  But the truth is, there was no spark.  He was nice.  He was good looking.  He was even a good kisser. But conversations with him were dull--it was like watching golf on television.  Ugh. I know you've had the same experience--you have met someone, whether of the same or opposite gender--and you've either immediately LIKED that person or "meh".  There are some connections that cannot be explained.  You just "click".  When you meet these people, you know they are going to be in your life for a while--for whatever the reason.

I have female friends like this.  We have clicked, and because of that click, we can go weeks, months, years without actually being in each other's presence and still pick things up like it was yesterday that we last sat together.  I have male friends like this as well.  These people are comfortable.  They relax us yet stimulate us.  They make us think.  They challenge us and support us and make us feel that, at least on SOME level, we are loved and valued.

The oddest aspect of these relationships is that we may appear to have NOTHING in common.  I'm divorced.  Some of my best friends have been married forever.  I'm a cat and dog person; my friends are usually not cat people.  I have an advanced college education; it doesn't matter if my friends do or do not.  I don't have children; nearly ALL of my friends do.  I'm in my 50s; some of my friends are in their 20s!

I cannot explain chemistry.  I won't pretend that I can.  I WILL tell you, however, that chemistry has me seeing a man who is TOTALLY not my type.  He works in a blue-collar job, has a limited education and cannot spell his way out of a paper bag.  Yet it works.  He makes me laugh.  He makes me think.  He makes me giggle and feel young and silly.  He PICKED ME UP.  (Keep in mind, as someone who weighed over 200 lbs for nearly ALL of her adult life, this is MONUMENTAL.)  I really, really like this man.  I may be falling in love with him...time will tell.  All I know is that he's in my life...for a while.  Yeah, chemistry! Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment