Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hungry Eyes...

Don't let the title fool you!  I'm not hungry.  Not even a little bit.  My eyes, on the other hand...sometimes THEY get tempted, seduced by the foods being thrust upon me every ten minutes while watching television! Truth is, I've had no real food cravings this last week--except for an odd desire for buttered toast.  Not sure why--it's not something I normally even eat! 

Yesterday (Saturday) was my first day with a full-liquid diet.  That's to say that I no longer need "clear" liquids--I can have milk, tomato soup, etc.  I started the day with a protein shake, which I had been drinking off and on for about three months before the surgery. They are actually quite delicious, and normally, I'd drink an entire bottle in about two swallows.  Today was much different.  My first portion was 2 1/2 ounces.  (Think bathroom-size Dixie Cup).  The shake, French vanilla, was very cold and thicker than I remember (probably because I've been on clear liquids).  I sipped on this portion for about fifteen minutes.  (And no, I could NOT have drunk it faster if I wanted to...)

It was delicious but so incredibly filling.  I didn't drink any more of it until much later in the day.  It's important to have liquids with protein to keep up my strength, and I've purchased some unflavored protein powder that can be added to nearly anything.

If you had told me a year ago that I'd be doing this, I would have either laughed at you or felt insulted.  I had no idea of my own strength.  I'm in this for the long haul.  I AM going to take my life back.  Before this surgery, I would have seen something advertised on television and would have gone to the kitchen (if there was food available) or to the grocery store or fast food restaurant.  No more.  This time, the "eyes" don't have it!

1 comment:

  1. My favorite part of this post: "I'm in this for the long haul. I AM going to take my life back."

    YES! And I'm right here with you on the journey.

    Next stop...Paris! ;)

    ReplyDelete