Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hairspray!

Last night I went to dinner with my friend Dorothy and then to see Hairspray.  A girl with whom I've acted was in it and was wonderful!  We had a great time.  For those of you unfamiliar with the story line, Tracy Turnblad is a chubby Baltimorean who wants to dance on a local television dance show.  Her size is a key point to the story--because she's "not like other girls", her mother, (who is always played by a male actor) tries to convince Tracy not to pursue her dreams.  There are two main antagonists--Amber and her mother, a former beauty queen (Miss Baltimore Crab) who look down on Tracy because of her size.  Set in the 1960s, it's about dance, integration and love.  It's rich with peppy songs and lovable characters, and I highly recommend.

While I was sitting there, I was very much aware that 100 pounds ago, the snarky comments made by Amber and her mother would have bothered me much more than they did last night.  I took such comments personally, and I have to admit that while I sat watching the play, I enjoyed the jokes and winced only slightly at their snarkiness!

I had visits from former students yesterday--both of whom were surprised by my appearance, even though they've seen photos on Facebook.  Melissa said that while she'd seen the photos, in person I look even smaller!  Very complimentary--and I loved it!

Today Whit and I are going to take his youngest daughter to lunch and perhaps to see John Carter at the IMAX theater in Raleigh.  Have a SUPER Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment