Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Love and Basketball...

No, not the movie.  I've never even seen that movie.  Hard to believe, huh?  There's actually a movie I haven't seen?  Actually, there are many movies I haven't seen, but I digress...

Tuesday night,  I came home from school, let Jack out and changed to go to the basketball games.  We were playing Tarboro High for the first time--we weren't in a league in previous years. Our JV team won by two points with less than a minute to play.  The girls, who have suffered some illness and injury, lost although they played well.  The Varsity boys kicked butt, winning by 50 points, 97-47!  I made the mistake of not eating before I went to the games--and they didn't have any "real food" other than chili dogs, bad popcorn and candy.  I tried the chili dog because I needed protein, but one tiny bite and I knew better than to eat that. I spat it into a tissue. Yuck!  

So I ate late.  And now I'm feeling queasy.  Ugh...not a pleasant sensation.  I am not going to do that again. 

Now for the love part.  Little girls love me.  I'm not sure why, but little girls have always loved me.  Maybe it's my "girlie-girl ways"--my love of nail polish and earrings and other girlie things.  Maybe it's that they can sense that they are safe with me or that I'm just a little girl at heart, but no matter who the little girl, little girls love me.  Tuesday night at the game, I met a little darling named "Imagine".  Magical name and a truly lovely girl.  She is the sister of a former student, but we had never met before tonight.  She was immediately drawn to me, and we hung out for the entire game!  She played "Angry Birds" on my iPhone and told me that we were "BFFs".  Then she added "EAD".  Knowing that BFF stands for "Best Friends Forever", I asked, "What's EAD? Ever and A Day?" And she said, "Nope. Even After Death".  How cute is THAT?  A little morbid maybe, but adorable!

When little girls connect with me, it makes me both happy and bitterly sad.  It makes me wish I had had children. I really resent that my ex-husband didn't want kids. It makes me miss James' granddaughter, Shannon.  It makes me wish I had a child I could love because I have so much love in my heart.  Sigh.  I guess I'll share that love with my students, with myself and with you, my readers...lucky for us all, my heart is HUGE!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment