Thursday, June 7, 2012

It Isn't Trivial!

I apologize for not writing yesterday, but there wasn't much to write about except the "doom & gloom" going on at school, and I didn't feel like writing about it!  

Last night, Kevin and I went to DJ Trivia at Tyler's Taproom in Raleigh.  We didn't win--we ended up "tied for 4th place" which is a nice way of saying we wagered all our points on the last question and lost!  Ha ha! But we had a great time!  He and I have so much in common, and every time we talk, we seem to discover more.  It's the "easiest" relationship I've ever had.  Relationship?  When do we use that word?  After 3 dates?  After 12? After 30? Sigh.  Dating never is easy--no matter your age!  But Kevin?  He's great.  He's smart and funny and handsome, and he has this great deep voice...I don't know if he can sing, but think Barry White!

Anyway, we had pizza for dinner.  I had a slice (it was very thin, and thin pizza is the only kind I can manage these days), but even at that, one small slice filled me up.  We arrived at the restaurant really early so that we could spend time together chatting, so I did have a second slice later in the evening. Trust me, I didn't push it.  I haven't vomited once since the surgery, and I want that to continue!  One thing I learned pretty early on is that ONE bite extra can make me feel horrible. 

Yesterday, we had a faculty luncheon where we said goodbye to our headmaster, who is leaving at the end of the month for a position at the college across the street.  While I was there, one of my colleagues from the elementary school complimented me and then asked me whether I had the surgery local or out of town.  I told her I had it in Raleigh at Rex Hospital by Dr. Paul Enochs.  She asked if I had confidence in my surgeon, which of course I did and do!  She said she'd like to talk more about it, and I'm excited for her.  I would love EVERY obese person in the world to do this for himself/herself!  It has brought me so much happiness--I'd love everyone to feel this good!

Speaking of colleagues, another elementary teacher and I exchanged hellos in the administration building yesterday morning.  I didn't think anything of it, until she came back a few minutes later to tell me that she hadn't recognized me at all when I said hello!  Talk about a compliment!  I've had more than a few people tell me that, which is just wonderful in my eyes!

And it's strange--even with all the compliments, much of my OWN body image is still distorted.  I still think I'm as big as I used to be.  It doesn't happen all the time--I can look in the mirror and actually see my collarbones, but the truth is, I still THINK of myself as obese.  The other night, I went into my closet and found an old t-shirt from Field Day at school in 2008.  I thought it might make a good nightshirt, albeit a bit short.  Well, I put it on, expecting it to be short and it fell to my knees.  My knees!  I can remember it fitting snugly back in 2008 and how I had to stretch it so that it would fit comfortably.  Incredible!

Have a thoughtful, thank-filled Thursday, and I thank you for your support!  This blog has had more than 15K page views.  Simply incredible!

2 comments:

  1. you are truly an inspiration! i love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! It helps ME to write them; if they help someone else, that's even better!!

      Delete