Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all of you who are mothers--whether in the biological sense or just because you love someone enough to be their mother!

This is often a tough holiday for me--one, my mother and I are separated by more than 600 miles, and two, it is a reminder that I'm NOT a mother.  At least not in the biological definition of the word.  Last Mother's Day, Shannon gave me a card and a candle and candle holder.  It meant the world to me, and of course, I kept the card.  This year, one of my former students wished me a happy Mother's Day and thanked me for "all the love".

It was a great reminder.  I AM a mother...at least to my students.  I'm the person who cheers them on, scolds them when they need to be scolded, loves them and listens to them.  I didn't need to give birth to them to care about them.

So today, thank a mother...whether it's your biological mother, the mother of your stepchildren or the woman who treats you like one of her own.  Have  splendid Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment