Saturday, February 25, 2012

Aesthetics vs Health

When I decided last May to have this surgery, I did so because I wanted to feel better.  I wanted to walk without (or with minimal) pain.  I wanted to have more energy.  For me, this surgery was never about wearing smaller and prettier clothes.  It wasn't about looking good.  It wasn't about rediscovering my cheekbones or anything else "looks" related.  But oh...what a benefit!

Yes, I feel better.  My left knee still bothers me a lot--remember,  that's the knee without cartilage on which I've been walking bone on bone since high school.  I definitely have more energy than I ever did.  I wake up less achy and feeling better than I have in years.  Even my fibromyalgia symptoms are lessened, but what I'm surprisingly happy about is the aesthetic benefit to this surgery!

Yesterday, someone called me "the incredible shrinking woman".  He said, "Every time I see you, you're smaller!"  And I saw him less than two weeks ago!  One of my yearbook students who was looking at photographs to use in the yearbook said to me, "Ms. Harvey, you've lost a lot of weight just since the Toys for Tots assembly."  It's been fun to look at photos from just December and see how different I look today!  A couple of weeks ago, Whit pointed out that I've lost more than 20 pounds in the time that he's known me.  

I don't know where I'll stop as I figure that when my body is ready, the weight loss will stop and I'll plateau.  I don't know when or at what size that will be, and truthfully, I don't care.  I look a lot better than I did which is an added plus to the fact that I FEEL GREAT!

It's Saturday!  Whit and I are going to go see "my" team play today in Goldsboro.  He has his girls so I may go to a play tonight--the troupe with which I sometimes act is doing Narnia,so I may go see that.  Have a SUPER Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment