Sunday, February 19, 2012

Part Eight of the "To Do List" and a Significant Piece of Jewelry

Okay, for me, this is the easiest one on the list!  "Buy something frivolous". I love buying things for myself (and others) that aren't necessarily "smart" purchases.  For example, I don't need earrings, but last weekend at the Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, I bought three pairs of earrings!  Now that my face is thinner and my hair is shorter, I love showing off awesome earrings!  I buy "frivolous" things all the time.  For Valentine's Day, one of Whit's gifts was a bottle of ale that I bought at World Market called "Arrogant Bastard"!  The label is hysterically funny--and that's why I bought it.  I don't know if he even likes ale, but the bottle (and the matching glass) were funny enough to buy!

When is the last time you bought something frivolous?  When you didn't say to yourself, "Yeah, well, I don't actually need it, so..."  How many times have you found the perfect purchase but put it down and walked away because you didn't think you "needed" to buy it?  What are you waiting for?  Life is short, people!  If you REALLY want a purple striped purse that you'll only carry once, but that one time is your high school reunion, buy it. 

Now, I'm not telling you to go bankrupt buying frivolous things.  With gas prices these days, sometimes you have to choose between eating and putting gas in the car!  But I am telling you to consider going a little crazy once in a while!

Jewelry is never something we need, but ohhh, how I love it!  And yesterday, my necklace arrived.  The necklace.  For those of you who are new, my friend Daisy suggested that I get a piece of jewelry to commemorate my 100-pound loss.  Great advice!  I went on Etsy and found a lovely little bezel-set turquoise necklace that I just love.  But I'm not wearing it until I've hit the 100-pound mark, which is a little less than 4 pounds from now.  I put it on when it came, and Whit and I had a "FaceTime" session so I could show him, but I took it off and put it away until I can wear it "legitimately".  (For those of you unfamiliar with FaceTime, it's an Apple application--I have it on my iPhone and Whit has it on his Mac at home.  It's a true video call, and we think a better picture quality than Skype!)

When I hit that 100-pound milestone, I'll put the necklace on and take a photo to show it off!  In the meantime, I hereby give you permission to go buy something "frivolous".  Enjoy your purchase without guilt, and if anyone criticizes you for it, tell them to come see me! Have a sensational Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment