Saturday, February 11, 2012

Choosing Happiness

Yesterday, I read an article that I wanted to share with you.  The author, Inna Segal, states that there are seven keys to choosing to be happy, as listed below:

1) Value yourself.  If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know I completely support this one!  I think that we tend to devalue ourselves in a huge way!  We would never treat our friends the way we treat ourselves.

2) Be committed to happiness.  In order to be happy, you have to want to be happy.  Now you may be saying, "duh!", but I wonder...have you ever thought about being happy?  I mean truly happy?  Did you work to make it happen?

3) Be open minded.  I love this one!  Being open minded opens you up to all kinds of possibilities that you've probably never even considered! When you're open to anything, anything really can happen!

4) Look after your health.  Well, I can certainly speak to that!  When you take care of your body, you feel good! If you're not the "gym" type, go for a walk.  Buy a couple of free weights--you don't need a lot of equipment.  Swim.  Keep your doctor appointments, and have an annual physical.  Get a mammogram or a prostate check. Take care of you!

5 and 6) Keep your sense of humor/believe in the power of laughter.  What is life without laughter, other than dull, dull, dull?  One of the things I love most about Buddy is how much he makes me laugh!  I have never been shallow--looks aren't important to me at all, although I happen to think Buddy's very good looking.  But I've always wanted to share my life with someone who could make me laugh.  Laughter allows you to get through the most difficult times of life.  I hope I never stop giggling the way I giggle now with Buddy.

7) Appreciate the "lucky charm" of happiness.  Realize that happiness is a blessing.  Being happy invites further happiness--at work, at home, with friends, loved ones and even strangers.  Have you ever noticed that when you're in a great mood that other people seem to be in good moods as well?  A positive attitude is TRULY contagious!  When you are happy, people are naturally attracted to you.  You'll find that people listen to you more, trust you quicker, want to spend more time with you. 

Do you want to be happy? If you do,keep these keys in mind. The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee us the right to happiness but the right to pursue happiness.  So pursue it. Chase it.  Tackle it to the ground and make it yours. It's your right and so very worth the effort!  Have a spectacular Saturday!

PS: If you want to read more about Ms. Segal's theories, her book is entitled, The Secret Language of Your Body, and her website is www.innasegal.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment