Saturday, January 14, 2012

C'mon In, the Water's Fine!

William Shedd wrote, "A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."  And Mark Twain wrote, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Two nautical references in one paragraph?  Am I mad?  No, my dear readers, but I do love those quotes so much, particularly Shedd's.  Lately, I've realized that I've lost my fear.  I have.  There's nothing I'm afraid of--not really.  I don't want to stay at shore--I want to travel the world!

Think about something you want.  Be it a new job, a new relationship, anything...why haven't you gone for it?  What's the worst that could happen?  In life, we have to take chances sometimes.  No risk, no reward.  If you sit in harbor, you're guaranteed to be safe--unless you spring a leak, of course!  But what about the travel?  What about exploring new opportunities?  Are you really content to stay tied to the pier when there's so much to see in the world?

We are social animals and aren't meant to be alone.  We have to be willing to stick our necks out once in a while...to risk getting hurt in order to find our bliss.  Yes, it's safer not to do so...safer to keep to ourselves and not even attempt a connection with another person, but at what price?

Yes, your ship is safer in harbor, but it isn't what your ship was built for.  It's time to take the plunge.  Don't over-think it...just do it.  C'mon in, the water's fine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment