Saturday, January 7, 2012

Yet Another First...

It was a long week!  I love my job, but the truth is, teaching takes a lot of energy!  And I'm still getting back into the routine after winter break.

Friday night, we had a basketball game at school.  Our varsity boys were ahead by 30 when I left at the half.  I decided to stop at the grocery store on my way home.  I was picking out two baking potatoes when I noticed a young man looking at me.  He smiled, so I smiled back, and then he said, "I think I know you!"  Turned out it was one of my former students--from my first year in NC when he was in fifth grade!  He graduated in May and is doing remarkably well!  Of course, I remember him clearly--he was a great little kid, and his mom was very nice to me.  And now for the first: he said, "I wasn't sure it was you, but...I kept looking and looking..." and I said, "Well, I'm thinner..." and he said, "Yeah, you are!"  That was the first time in my entire life that I've ever said "I'm thinner" to someone.  EVER!

And boy, did that feel GOOD!  Especially when he agreed.  We chatted for a long time and finally parted only after exchanging phone numbers and making tentative plans to go out to lunch.  Seeing him and how successful he is made my week!

It's been a long week, and I'm tired, so I'm going to cut this short.  I hope you have a SUPER Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment