Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Stretching" the Truth...

In Tuesday's mail, I received a pair of black jeans that I (impulsively) bought online back in December.  They had to be back-ordered, and they arrived yesterday.  When I opened the package, I took one look at the seemingly small waistband and said, "No freaking way are these going to fit me."  Up until now, I've worn "stretchy" jeans--elastic waistbands and stretchy material.  I decided a month or so ago that I was going to get out of the habit of wearing stretchy materials that "give" because what they really give you is a chance to cheat!  If you are wearing tailored, structured clothing and you gain five pounds, you're going to know it when nothing in your closet fits!  But if you're wearing clothing that stretches, you can gain five, ten, even fifteen pounds before tightness prevents you from wearing those stretchy things!

I honestly cannot tell you the last time I had on jeans--or any other slacks, really--that zipped.  Can you imagine?  Maybe the 1980s?  I don't know if it was even then!  I wore stirrup pants and other elastic-waisted trousers for as long as I can remember!  Anyway, I unbuttoned and unzipped these jeans and completely convinced that they weren't going to fit, I tried them on.  And buttoned the button on that small waistband.  And zipped them up.  They fit!  And look pretty good, if I do say so myself.  I took a photo in my bathroom mirror which was okay for Facebook, but I'd rather wait and get a better picture to share here.  I'll ask one of my students to take it--yes, I'm wearing black jeans to school today--and will post it on tomorrow's blog.

Yesterday I wrote about lying to myself, and as I write this, I realize that stretchy clothing allowed me to continue to lie.  Well, no more.  The new jeans are just the first of an entire wardrobe of structured, fitted clothing that is going to keep me honest as I embark on this new life!  Oh, and as long as I'm being honest...these new jeans are size 16; at one point I was wearing a very tight stretchy 22-24!

Have a wonderful and winsome Wednesday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment